The State Government’s new planning system has now officially launched.
From 19 March 2021, the Planning, Development and Infrastructure Act 2016 (PDI Act) replaces the Development Act 1993 bringing into effect a single source of state-wide planning rules for simpler, clearer and more consistent zoning policy via the Planning and Design Code and ePlanning platform.
The implementation of the Code across the entire state is a major milestone for planning and development in South Australia.
All South Australians can now lodge and track development applications online, search property zoning, find an accredited professional, review development rules, make payments, submit information, and track major projects and development activity across the state.
In preparing and delivering the Code, the State Planning Commission and Attorney-General's Department sought to reflect the contributions of the South Australian community, local councils, development sector and a range of professional bodies and interest groups who made invaluable suggestions on how the draft Code could be improved.
The Code reflects and focusses on significant areas of reform including:
- lifting the bar on the quality of infill development
- protecting our character and heritage
- protecting native vegetation
- promoting ‘value adding’ in rural areas.
Additionally, the Commission has endeavoured to lay the framework for more complex issues including climate change adaption and mitigation, as well as economic restructuring, investment clusters and agglomeration.
The new planning system will be fully monitored to ensure it operates as effectively as possible. The Code Amendment process will ensure the Code and the planning system is responsive to shape generational change, and continue to position South Australia as a leader in planning and development.
Following recommendations from the Commission, contained in the Engagement Report, the Minister has approved the new Code.
The full Engagement Report (PDF, 41360 KB) along with a Summary (PDF, 14335 KB)— highlighting key areas of feedback and recommended changes to the Phase Three (Urban Areas) Planning and Design Code—is now available.
In addition, a Guide to the Code (PDF, 18784 KB) and a variety of Factsheets and FAQs (see below) have been released as part of the suite of resources to help South Australians understand the Code and new planning policies.
Also available is a detailed schedule of education and training sessions that will help users of the new system understand how to use the ePlanning system and lodge a development application.
For more information fill out the online support request form or call the PlanSA Service Desk on 1800 752 664.
If you can't find a document, try searching PlanSA's resources library.
- Fact Sheet - Assessment timeframes in the new planning system (PDF, 339 KB)
- Fact Sheet - Building envelope plans (PDF, 222 KB)
- Fact Sheet - Development application checklist - planning (PDF, 243 KB)
- Fact Sheet - Development application checklist - building (PDF, 251 KB)
- Fact Sheet - Engaging an accredited professional as a decision-maker (PDF, 238 KB)
- Fact Sheet - Find out if you need approval (PDF, 222 KB)
- Fact Sheet - How the Planning and Design Code applies to developing a property (PDF, 261 KB)
- Fact Sheet - Identifying and managing regulated and significant trees (PDF, 188 KB)
- Fact Sheet - New fees and charges at a glance (PDF, 86 KB)
- Fact Sheet - North Adelaide institutions (PDF, 400 KB)
- Fact Sheet - Planning and Design Code - Phase Three Code changes affecting Phase Two councils (PDF, 215 KB)
- Fact Sheet - Processing variations to development authorisations (PDF, 224 KB)
- Fact Sheet - Record management requirements (PDF, 249 KB)
- Fact Sheet - Section 7 (PDF, 285 KB)
- Fact Sheet - Site contamination assessment (PDF, 271 KB)
- Fact Sheet - Urban Tree Canopy Off-set Scheme (PDF, 404 KB)
- Fact Sheet - Ways to lodge your application for approval (PDF, 217 KB)
- Fact Sheet - What are the assessment pathways in the Planning and Design Code (PDF, 315 KB)
- Frequently Asked Questions - Development applications (PDF, 186 KB)
- Frequently Asked Questions - Protecting regulated and significant trees (PDF, 327 KB)
- Frequently Asked Questions - South Australia's new planning system (PDF, 209 KB)
- Frequently Asked Questions - South Australian Property and Planning Atlas (SAPPA) (PDF, 170 KB)
- Engagement Report - full document (PDF, 41360 KB)
- Chapter 1 - Executive summary, forward, background, engagement, amendment process (PDF, 2325 KB)
- Chapter 2 - Original consultation - summary of feedback, response and recommended amendments to Code Policy (PDF, 4093 KB)
- Chapter 3 - Original consultation - summary of feedback, response and recommended amendments to Code Spatial Application (PDF, 26925 KB)
- Chapter 4 - Second consultation - summary of feedback, respone and recommended amendments to Code Policy (PDF, 1573 KB)
- Chapter 5 - Second consultation - summary of feedback, response and recommended amendments to Code Spatial Application (PDF, 5018 KB)
- Attachment A - Original consultation - Original consultation engagement results (PDF, 1836 KB)
- Attachment B - Second consultation - Second consultation engagement results (PDF, 1337 KB)
- Summary of Engagement Report (PDF, 14335 KB)
- Guide to the Planning and Design Code (PDF, 18784 KB)
- Guide to development assessment (PDF, 1670 KB)
- Brochure - South Australia's new planning system (PDF, 6288 KB)
- Brochure - Preserving our green infrastructure (PDF, 5056 KB)
- Brochure - Protecting heritage (PDF, 10849 KB)
- Brochure - Raising the bar on residential infill in the Planning and Design Code (PDF, 6083 KB)
- Brochure - Revitalising retail in the Planning and Design Code (PDF, 6119 KB)
- Guidelines - Heritage style identification advisory (PDF, 3134 KB)
- Guidelines - Historic Area Overlay design advisory (PDF, 1034 KB)
- Guidelines - Character Area Overlay design advisory (PDF, 1028 KB)
- Planning and Design Code
- Practice Direction 3 - Notification of Performance Assessed Development Applications
- Practice Direction 11 - Deemed Planning Consent Standard Conditions 2020
- Practice Direction 12 - Conditions
- Practice Direction 14 - Site Contamination Assessment
- Practice Direction 15 - Building Envelope Plans
- Ministerial Building Standard MBS 007 - Modifications to the Building Code of Australia
- Ministerial Building Standard MBS 010 - Construction requirements for the control of external sound